Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Seed Sowers


Author: Gwen Toliver
Genre: Missions
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5
Type: Non-fiction
Number of pages: 165
Time period: Mostly late 1900s
Passage from back cover: Crazed wildcats, angry witch doctors, heart-pounding rides down white-water rapids, terrifying headhunters and cannibals, and frightening first contacts with unknown tribes – each story bears testimony to the brave missionaries that God calls to serve.
My overall opinion: Wow. If you’re looking for an adventure to give a child, an inspirational story to give a friend or parent, a missions book to give a missionary…this book should be the one you choose. It’s got a bit of everything in it, covered in a total of 21 chapters. Each and everyone of those chapters is action-packed, with all the things listed in the excerpt above! Through all the exciting and often alarming adventures of these real-life missionaries, God’s power shines through clearly. My mom just finished reading this book aloud to three of my younger siblings, aged 13, 10, and 8 – they all loved it. Just now, as I was finishing it, the 10-year old came in and said “Oh, you’re reading that? I liked the last chapter best.” (Incidentally, that was my favorite chapter too.) No matter what age you are, or what type of books you like to read…even if missionary stories aren’t usually your thing because they’re “boring”…this book is very readable and you will enjoy it. And what’s more, it would make a perfect Christmas present! You can buy it through the link below.


**Note: Yes, Gwen Toliver is my aunt, and she sent me a free copy of this book in return for my honest review. I have done by best not to be biased, and I wasn’t obligated to post a positive review. It’s just a great book.**

No comments: