Sunday, December 16, 2012

Jane Austen: Birthday and Tag

In honor of today's being Jane Austen's 237th birthday...I decided to take a bit and answer a few of the questions from the tag that the wonderful hostesses of the Jane Austen Birthday Assembly made up. I opted to do just the first five questions for the sake of time...check out the full tag and hang out with a bunch of other Janeites in honor of The Birthday! Now, the questions I'm answering.

1. How did you meet Jane Austen?



Let me think. I believe it must have been when I first saw a few clips (shown me by my mother) of P&P 1995. Being a girl of about 12, I loved it! Who wouldn't delight in dresses, dancing, and Darcy? Time passed and I watched many more adaptions of Austen's books, along with reading all her major novels and Sanditon as finished by Another Lady. I can remember attempting to read Emma not long after seeing that P&P for the first time, but found it far too confusing. Now though, I've read P&P, Emma, Persuasion, and S&S all aloud to myself -- and fully understood each. :) Eventually, of course, I found the internet. And blogs. Blogs about Jane Austen. And of that came this blog, to chronicle my adventures with Jane Austen and her books and movie adaptions, along with a great deal of un-Austen-related material. :)


2. In which order did you first become acquainted with and read Jane Austen's novels?

I read P&P first, then probably S&S. All the rest came later, and I don't really remember...but I do know that only one I've read just once is Northanger Abbey. I do plan to read it again. :)

3. Rate Jane Austen's major novels from your most favorite to your least favorite and tell why.

My favorite is the stereotypical one -- P&P. I love the story, and the way they talk, and the quotable lines, and Lizzy. It's the book I probably know best and have read most.  Next would be Emma, a very close second. Again, Emma is a delightful (and imperfect) heroine and I enjoy her! Mr. Knightley is also wonderful. Probably my third favorite (which I don't know as well as the first two) is S&S, followed by Persuasion. Both wonderful books worth many re-readings. Finally, Mansfield Park -- I've never liked the story much. Not like P&P, at least. I don't think I'll pass a final opinion on NA until I read it again since it's been years and I've grown and changed a lot. :)

4. Which Jane Austen hero/heroine couple is your favorite and why?


Who doesn't love Darcy and Lizzy? But why are they my favorites? Possibly because I just love Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth in the roles. I also love Emma and Knightley.

5. Which hero/heroine couple is your least favorite and why?

Again leaving NA out of the equation...Fanny and Edmund. I don't like the movie adaption that I've seen (2007, I think) and their story has never grabbed me as much.

6. {{NOTE: I am adding this question, just for fun -- it is not in the original tag.}} Which movie adaptions are your favorites for each book?

P&P -- 1995 with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I've also seen one hour of the 1980 and all of the 2005 twice. Find my comparisons on the right side-bar (towards bottom).

Emma -- 2009 with Romola Garai and Johnny Lee Miller. I've also seen both 1996 versions. These are also compared (see sidebar on right).

S&S -- 1995 with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. I've also seen the 2007 and 1970(?) versions -- the 2008 is a close second to my favorite.

Persuasion -- 1995 with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. I've also seen the 2008, very good.

Mansfield Park -- 2007 with Billie Piper and Blake Ritson. It was okay. I haven't seen other versions.

Northanger Abbey -- none yet! I haven't seen any.

There you go! Happy birthday, Jane Austen! And thanks to you ladies who hosted this delightful Assembly. I've read and enjoyed the posts. :)

No comments: